I’m not sure which scares me more: Me trying to squeeze my winter belly into my swimsuit, or me, appearing in public in that swimsuit. Either way, this is an anxious time, indeed, as we ease out of winter hibernation, bulky sweaters and fleece and into the warm days of summer, shorts and bikinis. Now, it’s not like I’m preparing for a cover shoot for the SI Swimsuit Edition, but I would like to be able to step out of the shower without scaring the daylights out of myself when I look in the mirror.
Truth is I gave up on bikinis years ago after giving birth to my daughter Presley. But when I dragged my one-piece out the other day and hung it up, I’d swear the thing took one look at me and started laughing. “Yep,” I replied, “We have a lot of work to do before we’re seen in public.”
The formula for preparing for swimsuit season is the same for losing fat:
Healthy Food Diet + Weight Training + Cardiovascular Exercise = Swimsuit Fit
Now, if you start this week, you still have plenty of time to give those extra pounds the boot. I have designed a 5-Step Game Plan for burning off your winter calories, building muscle and losing the belly fat. In this plan, your food diet and exercise must team up together to support one another with the right amount of fuel and exercise. Remember that the body can only lose up to two pounds of fat per week without losing muscle along with it.
Step 1- Establish your motivation
- Hang your swimsuit where you can look at it everyday, expecting to wear it soon
- Display a picture of yourself – one that reminds you of how you want to look
- Find a motivational quote and make it your mantra
Step 2- Commit to a realistic plan and set your goals to make you accountable
- Tracking in a journal everything you eat and drink, as well as your exercise will help you lose weight twice as fast
- Organize how you plan to achieve your swimsuit goal so you are prepared
- Set your schedule and your attitude for exercise fun
Step 3- Dump the junk!
- Watch the soda, coffee, juice and sports drinks as they can be loaded with calories
- Limit your alcohol consumption
- Limit processed and artificial foods and eat more natural foods like fresh fruits and veggies
- Load your refrigerator and pantry with healthy choices readily available for that snack attack
Step 4- Get moving and get losing
- Unplug – Your TV, your computer, your cell phone, tablet and iPod. Get up and get active.
- Build up to achieving 10,000 steps or 5 miles a day in your lifestyle and activities
- Get outside – Try activities in the sunshine and fresh air
Step 5- Add some muscle power 2-3 days a week that includes push (pushups, squats, lunges), pull (pull ups, sit ups) and twist moves
- Sign up for a mini boot camp in your area
- Circuit train using a combination of weight machines and cardio equipment
- Add functional training exercises such as kettlebells, medicine balls, cables, Bosu and dumbbells as they mimic natural body movements
Follow these five steps and you’ll not only get a jump on swimsuit season, you’ll also be well on your way to improved overall health. Always remember:
When you’re moving, you’re improving!