This evening over 100 million viewers will be glued to their seats watching the Giants and the Patriots battle it out during the biggest game in American sports. Not me. Oh, don’t get me wrong – I’ll have the game on, for sure. But I won’t be glued to my seat.
I read a report recently that one hour of sedentary activity – like watching TV – burned a measly 81 calories. But pairing a little physical activity with television viewing could double or even triple one’s calorie burn. Here are some ideas for incorporating physical activity into your TV viewing:
- Do some light step aerobics or jump in place on a mini trampoline
- Walk or jog on a treadmill or ride a stationary bike
- Hula hoop (seriously, I can burn 420 calories hooping for 60 minutes)
- Lift dumbbells to tone your shoulders, biceps and triceps
- Do crunches on a fit ball
- Mat exercises (push ups, planks, bicycles, figure 8s, “Tebows,” etc.)
- Couch triceps dips
The burning question is whether you’ll incorporate movement during the game or during the commercials. Either way, don’t just sit there – get a move on, because When You’re Moving, You’re improving!